Your past experience & skills
- How experienced are you with multi-day walks; have you done anything like this before?
- Do you have first aid knowledge & a first aid kit?
- Are you comfortable being out in some fairly remote locations?
- Does the possibility of close encounters with wildlife bother you?
- Have you got good walking stamina to complete the distances?
If you are travelling alone it’s probably best to have the back up of a self guided or guided trip. Otherwise in the event of an emergency or injury that incapacitates you how will you cope? You should at the very least have a reliable mobile and emergency device ( EPIRB or similar) with you if travelling solo.
If you are going to walk independently and carry your own pack you need to be fitter than if you opt for a guided or self guided walk where your luggage is carried for you. Training with your pack beforehand is essential so you can see how your body copes with the demands of a fully laden pack – practice with the gear you intend to use and don’t forget to add the weight of food and water! If you’re unsure of your fitness then the support of a guided walk is your best bet where you can have vehicle back up and pull out points.